Welcome to the Family Medical Leave Act Information Page
What is the Family Medical Leave Act & how do I determine if I am eligible?
- The FMLA entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks of job-protected leave in a 12-month period for specified family and medical reasons. For District purposes, a 12-month period is defined as a school calendar year, from July 1st to June 30th.
To be eligible for FMLA benefits, an employee must have worked for Olean City School District for a total of at least 12 months; and have worked at least 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months.
What are the qualifying reasons for an FMLA Leave?
- For the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee.
- For placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care.
- To care for a qualified immediate family member (spouse, child under 18, or parent) with a serious health condition.
- To take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
- A qualifying exigency arising out of employee’s covered military member (spouse/son/daughter/parent) on active duty or call to active duty) in support of a contingency.
- To care for a covered service member (spouse/son/daughter/parent/next of kin) with a serious injury or illness
Want to know more about FMLA or apply for FMLA Leave? Please click on information and application below.
Once you have completed your application, please return to Aaron W. Wolfe, Director of Human Resources. Should you have any questions, please feel free to call or email.