• In approximately 1810, a log school house was constructed and teacher was employed.  Students gathered for instruction on the corner of Laurens and Union Streets.  As the population of Olean grew, approximately 100 students were attending school in 1846.  A two-story building was constructed in 1851 on the corner site of East State and North Barry Streets.

    In 1864 (or was it 1868), the Olean Union Free School District No. 1” was organized. Thus began the present school system of Olean.  The Olean Academy was renamed to School No. 1.  The following years were marked with rapid growth which was attributed to the influx of people attracted by the oil industry. 

    Many schools were added or replaced over the years.  As the population increased, so did the number of school required to educate the students.