The Olean City School District offers many activities and tools to help families build better readers. Check out our newsletters, family literacy nights, parent drop in sessions, and many other exciting opportunities for you and your family.
Let's Put Reading First!
When children become good readers in the early years, they are more likely to become better learners throughout their school years and beyond. Beoming a reader involves the development of important skills, including learning to:
- use language in conversation
- listen and respond to stories read aloud
- recognize and name the letters of the alphabet
- listen to the sounds of spoken language
- connect sounds to letters to figure out the "code" of reading
- read often so that recognizing words becomes easy and automatic
- learn and use new words
- understand what is read